.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rochester 5th Ward Information

In an attempt to close the gap between city government and its citizens, especially those I represent in Rochester's Fifth Ward, I will try to provide timely updates on issues and concerns that are under consideration for council action as well as any specific concerns you bring to my attention.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

IBM retiree after 32 years, positions in service, marketing, product development, business and product strategy. Many community volunteer boards and committees including Diversity Council, IMAA, Sesquicentennial, RNeighbors (formerly Rochester Neighborhood Resource Center). Elected to City Council in 2002. Represent 5th Ward. Member Environmental Commission, ROCOG (Rochester Olmsted Council of Governments), State Emergency Radio Board, Co-Chair Kiwanis/Wells Fargo Hockey Festival, State Emergency Radio Board

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Soldier's Field Playground - Fantastic Volunteer Effort

I think I just had the most rewarding experience of all of my 31 years in Rochester last week and last weekend. It wasn't in the Fifth Ward but I did see many folks I recognized from the Ward working on the project so I guess it counts for this "blog".

I'm talking about the building of the new Soldier's Field Playground.

What an effort! Kudos to all those who worked on planning and raising funds for the project but I really take my hat off to the many volunteers who worked tirelessly to see the project to its completion (or close to it). I'd been involved in numerous volunteer projects through my association with Kiwanis, the Neighborhood Resource Center, our city's Sesquicentennial etc. but I'd never seen anything like the effort I experienced last week.

I was very impressed with the planning and logistics that went into the project -- lumber to do the job, all kinds of tools, hardware, even tenting to protect from the rain (somebody didn't talk to the weather man).

I know that there were plans somewhere, and that there were a couple of "foremen" from the company that designed the playground (with the help of kids and the playground committee) but I saw the thing go up from nothing to completion with just the simplest instructions and was especially impressed with how well volunteers cooperated with strangers, contributing their own particular skills and knowhow, a lot of sweat, and, if I can rely on my own experience, some aches and pains later in the evening.

This was an effort truly to be admired, even if it was clear accross town from our Ward. It was Rochester at it's finest!

If you get a chance to help with this project in the future do yourself a favor and take time to do it! YOu'll be glad you did and years from now you'll be able to tell your kids and grandkids how you helped make Rochester and even better city to live in than the #1 city it's always been.

For more info on this go to their web page www.soldiersfieldplayground.com .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counters