.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rochester 5th Ward Information

In an attempt to close the gap between city government and its citizens, especially those I represent in Rochester's Fifth Ward, I will try to provide timely updates on issues and concerns that are under consideration for council action as well as any specific concerns you bring to my attention.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

IBM retiree after 32 years, positions in service, marketing, product development, business and product strategy. Many community volunteer boards and committees including Diversity Council, IMAA, Sesquicentennial, RNeighbors (formerly Rochester Neighborhood Resource Center). Elected to City Council in 2002. Represent 5th Ward. Member Environmental Commission, ROCOG (Rochester Olmsted Council of Governments), State Emergency Radio Board, Co-Chair Kiwanis/Wells Fargo Hockey Festival, State Emergency Radio Board

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Glendale Neighborhood's Eight Flag Day Parade

Just returned home from one of the best 5th Ward homespun annual get-togethers -- the Glendale Neighborhood's Flag Day Parade. This is their 8th one and I think I managed to march in at least 7 (did so even before I was politically correct or involved.) Lora Powell has been one of the main organizers ever since I can remember. Im sure she had lots of help by others -- that seems to be the kind of neighborhood it is.

The parade started at the top of Glendale Hills Dr. at 6:30 as it has every year. This year I parked my car at the end point, North Park, and walked the route backwards so I would end up where my car was parked. Old guy like me started the parade already fairly pooped! What was I thinking? What were the developers that build all those beautiful homes on such a long, steep, street thinking?

The route was lined with flags stuck in front of all the homes for the entire route. Most homes had some kind of flag display as well. Very patriotic.

Moms and dads, grandpas and grandmas, and kids of all ages joined the procession down the hill. The smarter and wiser joined as we moved past. They must have walked up the hill in the past and were quicker learners than I.

Kids on bikes and in wagons decorated with flags and red, white, and blue streamers were pulled by parents. This is one of those times I think the kids will talk about with their children someday and hopefully try to duplicate when the time comes.

Finally at the end we were treated to the traditional watermelon. Helped cut again and yes, they did trust me with a knife though I tried not talking too much because it seems that my vocal cords are linked to my arms.

I met a few wonderful people and we talked some about a few city and local area issues. Promised to look into a stop sign at Northern Valley and Rocky Creek Roads, do more about speeding, running red lights, explained the real story behind our new bow and arrow hunting ordinance, and vowed to be back next year.

Nice going Glendale! See you next year (but think I'll call a cab to take me up the hill!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counters