.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rochester 5th Ward Information

In an attempt to close the gap between city government and its citizens, especially those I represent in Rochester's Fifth Ward, I will try to provide timely updates on issues and concerns that are under consideration for council action as well as any specific concerns you bring to my attention.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

IBM retiree after 32 years, positions in service, marketing, product development, business and product strategy. Many community volunteer boards and committees including Diversity Council, IMAA, Sesquicentennial, RNeighbors (formerly Rochester Neighborhood Resource Center). Elected to City Council in 2002. Represent 5th Ward. Member Environmental Commission, ROCOG (Rochester Olmsted Council of Governments), State Emergency Radio Board, Co-Chair Kiwanis/Wells Fargo Hockey Festival, State Emergency Radio Board

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Think Outside the Box

No doubt you've all heard the expression "think outside the box". I'd taken courses on this in the past and even taught a couple of sessions in my past life.

I like to think I do this from time to time.

Had an occasion last Friday, October 21, to think INSIDE the box -- a cardboard box -- and I spent a cool, chilly night in one along with about 200 others.

The event was a fundraiser for the Interfaith Hospitality Network, Dorothy Day House, and the Salvation Army to help raise funds to support their efforts to help the homeless. Now, I don't know of any homeless within the boundaries of the Fifth Ward and I'm thankful for that, but there are some who find themselves in need of help this way and so ....

Sort of got exposed to this as a favor to a friend who was designing the promotional brochure for the event and he asked for a little help. In doing this I learned more about the problem and recognized the names of two key organizers, Joanne Markee and Ginger Holmes. THanks for all your hard work and for all those who helped.

I guess you can guess the rest. Next thing I knew I was committed to represent the council and the mayor also graciously volunteered along with his grandaugther, Madison.

I was very impressed by the number of people who braved the cold and especially the young folks. From the Fifth Ward we had great representation from the Kiwanis K Club at Century HS. Five young ladies participated and three of my fellow Kiwanians did as well acting as chaperones.

I suggest that anyone reading this consider helping out next year.

Only suggestion to the organizers -- consider doing this a little earlier in the fall when it's warmer.

But then again, kind of would miss the point of being homeless wouldn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counters