.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Rochester 5th Ward Information

In an attempt to close the gap between city government and its citizens, especially those I represent in Rochester's Fifth Ward, I will try to provide timely updates on issues and concerns that are under consideration for council action as well as any specific concerns you bring to my attention.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rochester, Minnesota, United States

IBM retiree after 32 years, positions in service, marketing, product development, business and product strategy. Many community volunteer boards and committees including Diversity Council, IMAA, Sesquicentennial, RNeighbors (formerly Rochester Neighborhood Resource Center). Elected to City Council in 2002. Represent 5th Ward. Member Environmental Commission, ROCOG (Rochester Olmsted Council of Governments), State Emergency Radio Board, Co-Chair Kiwanis/Wells Fargo Hockey Festival, State Emergency Radio Board

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

City Leader Will Be Missed

City Council Member Jean McConnell, Ward 3 passed on earlier today after suffering a massive stroke at Monday's Committee of the Whole preliminary budget setting hearing.

Jean served the city as a council member since 1987 and was known throughout as a fiscally conservative member of the council with strong convictions. Though we often differed in our approach I looked to Jean for advice and support and he never let me down. He was a frequent visitor to my Friday morning coffee's at Grandmas Kitchen stiffing me for his coffee and toast and we joked about that.

We often observed that though we may have differed at times we could still be friends and I cherished that friendship. We often joked on the council that in matters concerned with spending money we considered a 6-1 vote unanimous, knowing that Jean would take the lone position.

Please remember Jean, his wife Catherine, and his family in your prayers this Holiday season. Thanks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Councilman McConnell seemed curmudgeonly at times, but I felt respect and affection for him. He reminded me of my grandma, perhaps because they were of the same depression generation and shared a similar outspokenness and frugal nature.

Last year when we were selling the Flood of Memories book at the Sesquicentennial Author's Fair I discovered that Mr. McConnell was a published author. I purchased his book, "A Farm at Shawndo" which he signed for me. It was such a delight to read it and discover this other side of Mr. McConnell.

December 14, 2005 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Counters